Amy M. Staehr
Ms. Staehr is a partner in the firm’s Jackson office. She is a Jackson native and focuses her practice on trust, estate and tax planning, with a particular emphasis on international issues, wealth succession, asset protection, state income tax, offshore voluntary disclosure issues, and tax controversies.
Education and Licensure: Ms. Staehr received an A.B. in English, graduating magna cum laude with honors from Dartmouth College; she received an M.A. in English and Creative Writing from the University of Texas at Austin, and a J.D. from the University of Wyoming College of Law, graduating Order of the Coif and with honors. Ms. Staehr is licensed to practice law in California, Colorado, and Wyoming.
Prior Experience: As a Wyoming native, Ms. Staehr is well acquainted with the solid Western values as well as the global reach of Wyoming residents. She has lived throughout the United States, as well as in London, Tanzania, and Guinea-Bissau, West Africa, and she brings this experience to the table when working with U.S. as well as foreign clients to create estate, tax, and business plans that tackle jurisdictional problems with an eye to the realities of individual locales.
Memberships: Ms. Staehr is former Chairman of the Wyoming Chapter of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), the leading worldwide professional body for practitioners in the fields of trusts, estates and related issues.. She is a member of the California Bar Association, the Colorado Bar Association, the Wyoming Bar Association, and the Teton County Bar Association.
Community Service: Ms. Staehr is currently serving as a Director of the Teton County Library Foundation and of the Teton Literacy Center. She is a member of the Open Space Council of the Jackson Hole Land Trust.
- Fourth Annual STEP International Trust Conference, September 25-26, 2015, Four Seasons Resort, Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- Transcontinental Trusts Bermuda – Virtual Conference – June 1-4, 2021, “Exploring Alternative Structuring Uses”
- Transcontinental Trusts International, Virtual Conference, September 2-4, 2020, “Exploring Alternative Structuring Options”
- STEP Europe Conference 2020, Luxembourg, February 20-21, 2020, “Private Foundations and Trust-like Arrangements”
- STEP Benelux Conference 2019, Luxembourg, October 10-11, 2019, “Foundations in the US: Wyoming”
- ACTEC 2019 Rocky Mountain Regional Meeting, Jackson, Wyoming, September 2019, “Cowboys & Coyotes – A Primer on Trust Situs Considerations Under Wyoming & South Dakota Law”
- STEP Europe Conference 2019, Limassol, Cyprus, June 27, 2019, “News from the US: the State of Wyoming”
- AAML, Mountain States Chapter Annual Meeting, Jackson, WY, June 14, 2019, “An Overview of Asset Protection Trusts”
- TransTrusts Bermuda, Bermuda, June 7, 2019, “Family Office & Next Gen Planning”
- STEP International Tax and Estate Planning Forum, Laguna Beach, CA, May 6, 2016, “Using US Structures to Maintain Privacy in a CRS/OECD World”
- 2015 Wyoming State Bar Annual Meeting and Judicial Conference, September 9, 2015, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, “Innovation Over the Years: A Look at Wyoming’s Evolving Trust Climate”
- Teton County Bar Association, February 10, 2015, “The Basics of Business Structures”"
- The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors 2014 National Spring Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, May 14, 2014, “Now You See Me, Now You Don’t: The Changing Landscape of Irrevocable Trust Planning”
- Startup Institute, May 7, 2014, “Legal Considerations for Startup Companies”
- AMG National Trust Bank Seminar, June 17, 2013, “The Wyoming Advantage”
- STEP Silicon Valley Chapter, Palo Alto, California, June 5, 2013, “Interstate Trust Planning”
- STEP Wyoming Ski Boot Camp, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, March 1, 2013, “Case Study: Wyoming v. The California Franchise Tax Board”
- 49th Annual Hawaii Tax Institute, Honolulu, Hawaii, November 6th, 2012, “Situs Selection of Trusts: How Asset Protection and State Income Taxes Factor into Trust Situs Selection”
- The Wyoming Chapter of International Tax Planning Association publication: ITPA Purpose Trust Handbook, 2021
- “Wyoming Trusts and Trust Alternatives,” International Tax Planning Association, Topic 129, 2021
- The Wyoming Chapter of Globe Law and Business’s Private Trust Companies: A Handbook for Advisers, 2020
- Tiered Structures for Family Office Operations: Integrating a Private Trust Company with a Family Office,” Probate & Property, Vol. 33, No. 5, Sept/Oct 2019
- “Foundations in the wild west: the Wyoming Statutory Foundation Act,” Trusts & Trustees, Vol. 25, No. 6, July 2019
- “The Discovered Country,” Wyoming Law Review, Volume 18, Number 2, 2018
- “Stop in Wyoming on the Way to America: The Use of Wyoming Trust Structures to Administer EB-5 Investment Funds Pending Removal of Conditions on Residence,” Regional Center Business Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 1, March 2017
- “Why Choose Wyoming,” STEP Journal, Vol. 21., Issue 5, June 2013
- Case Note: Civil Procedure—The Wyoming Supreme Court Constricts the Public Interest Exception of the Declaratory Judgments Act; William F. West Ranch v. Tyrrell, 206 P.3d 722 (Wyo. 2009)